College should be a time of both personal and intellectual growth. Unfortunately, allegations of misconduct can put your academic future and future career in jeopardy. If you find yourself in such a situation, Allen Harris can help. We are experienced higher education lawyers. We understand your rights as a student and we understand your civil rights. Whether you are the victim of discrimination or unfair treatment, or you believe you’ve been wrongfully accused of misconduct on campus, you can rely on our firm to guide you through every step of the legal process ahead. Contact our firm today to learn more about how we can assist you.
Student Rights Lawyers | Protecting Students’ Rights in Higher Education
For years, our attorneys have championed students in need of legal representation. We are ready to do the same for you.
Our Legal Services
Allen Harris guides students through a wide array of higher education issues, including:
- Title IX: Our experienced legal team has significant experience dealing with Title IX cases on campus, including those involving sexual harassment or assault, stalking, intimate partner violence, and Title IX retaliation. Whether you are a victim of sexual misconduct on campus or believe that you’ve been wrongfully accused of such behavior, our firm can help.
- Student Misconduct Defense: Regardless of the circumstances of your particular case, if you are currently facing allegations of hazing, cyberbullying, or a drug/alcohol violation, there is a very good chance that you will face disciplinary action. This is why you need an attorney who understands the ins and outs of higher education law and who can work with you to protect your education and your future.
- Section 504 Compliance: Both the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 guarantee your right to reasonable accommodations. However, your disability rights are different after you leave high school and become an adult. You are no longer guaranteed an “appropriate” college education. Nevertheless, federal laws prohibit colleges and universities from discriminating against students because of a disability. If you believe you’ve been the victim of discrimination based on a disability, our firm is here to help.
- College Housing Policy Violations: College housing policies are often quite involved, but most college students who live on campus do not spend all day reading through the housing policy handbook. The school will still expect you to and hold you accountable. It will not matter that you may violate your college’s housing policy unknowingly. This can still lead to serious consequences that impact your academic and personal life. In many cases, these violations can result in lost scholarships, suspensions, even expulsions.
- Student Discrimination: No student should have to contend with discrimination based on race, sexual orientation, color, national origin, religion, or gender. In fact, it is illegal. If you are a victim of discrimination as a student and are being denied access to educational programs, you will need an experienced attorney on your side who truly cares and understands your civil rights.
- Student Free Speech: Free speech has been under attack on many college campuses throughout the United States. If you have been censored, punished, or retaliated against for simply speaking your mind and expressing your views, our firm, and often the First Amendment are on your side. Even at private schools, handbooks and policies of the university often promise to respect and guarantee free expression. You can turn to Allen Harris to defend your right to speak.
Contact Our Experienced Student Rights Lawyers
If you believe that you require the services of a knowledgeable higher education lawyer who understands your student rights, Allen Harris is the right place. Contact Allen Harris today to schedule an initial consultation with our firm.